We know that preparing for a Bar or Bat Mitzvah is quite an effort, for parents as well as for students, and we would like to make your process as smooth as possible. Please feel free to email any questions to [email protected].
What is this all about?
- To start things off, here's a message from Rabbi Weiss and Cantor Friedland.
- Get a short history and explanation of the B'nai Mitzvah ritual.
- Learn how our Religious School curriculum prepares students and also about the tutoring process.
How do we get started?
- Prepare your family's timeline.
- Get the Pre-B'nai Mitzvah Service Requirement Form.
- Plan your budget with our B'nai Mitzvah Fee Schedule.
- Download our recommended reading list.
B'nai Mitzvah Learner's Service
This service (recorded on April 29, 2017) serves as an example of the format and outline of the B'nai Mitzvah ritual at JRC. This video can be used by B'nai Mitzvah students, parents, and extended families to give more context and explanation of the prayers and honors that happen during the service as well as the timeflow. You can follow along with this basic outline of the B'nai Mitzvah service.
Getting the Whole Family Involved
- Not everyone knows the Torah and haftarah blessings by heart. Here they are in Hebrew and English.
- Listen to Cantor Friedland chant the blessings and tropes.
- Learn more information about the honors and how to assign honors.
- During the service, Parents will be asked to give a blessing. Here are some helpful guidelines for the Parents' Blessings.
- Families are also expected to arrange for ushers to greet guests before the service and help put away prayer books afterward. Here are some simple instructions for your ushers.
- Every family is responsible for providing a kiddush after the B'nai Mitzvah service. Here's a handy list of what's needed for the kiddush, even if you're not having a party at JRC.
- Read JRC's policies about Shabbat deliveries, photography and videography, and get a few tips service and arrival times.
- Here are some guidelines on how to make your simcha environmentally sustainable.
- Want to rent JRC for your simcha? We love parties here! Contact the JRC office for rental information, including fees, room capacities and vendor referrals.
Connecting Students to the Community
- We hope you'll submit a bio and photo of your child for our Monthly E-Newsletter by submitting this online form. Please have your child fill it out in thier own words.
- Take a look at a working list of current Tikkun Olam projects being done by our students and see how you can get involved in repairing the world.
B'nai Mitzvah Havurah
Your community's got your back - our B'nai Mitzvah Havurah's Yahoo group is a great way to connect with other parents and support one another through the years. To join, send an email request to [email protected].