I have an idea for a program. Who do I tell?
All programs need to be attached to a committee. If you aren’t sure where to start, contact Programming Coordinator Nina Litoff in the office for assistance.
My committee wants to collaborate with another committee, how do I find out who to call?
A list of committees and their chairs can be found on the JRC website.
How do I schedule a meeting or event at JRC?
A variety of factors need to be considered before we schedule an event, including the number of activities on the schedule, available space and demands on the staff. So the first thing to do is to contact our Communications and Program Coordinator, Nina Litoff to make sure that the date and time that you have in mind are possible. It’s a good idea to have a backup date in mind just in case. When planning an event, use the Questions to Answer When Developing a Program at JRC as a checklist. It tells you the best order to go about organizing your event, obtaining permission and who to consult for questions.
I’m hosting a program. What steps should I take to make sure it is a success?
Once your program has been approved by your committee chair, the office, and added to the JRC calendar, follow these steps:
- Write a short description (no more than 150 words) of what your program is about and what people can expect if they attend. Please indicate if there is a charge to participate.
- Send Nina Litoff the description. If you have a photograph that describes your event or committee, please provide one! Please supply this information with plenty of notice so that it can be added to JRC internal communications. Please note that submissions may be edited for length and clarity.
- Include any links to external materials (such as articles, reading selections or fliers) that you would like included in the event description on the website.
- Specify how many people you expect will attend your event.
- Indicate how you will be collecting information or RSVPs from attendees.
- Detail what you will need from the JRC office for your event. This includes: number of chairs, chair/table configurations, tables for check in/food, coffee, tea, water, easel, projector, screen, computer adaptor, sound system, microphone, extra power cords, etc.
- Let the JRC office know what you will be providing (food, craft supplies, books etc.)
We are planning a great program, how do we get information into the Monthly e-Newsletter and the announcements?
Events hosted at or sponsored by JRC can be added to the monthly E-Newsletter and weekly announcements. The monthly e-newsletter is sent out the last Wednesday of each month and items should be submitted to Nina Litoff at least one week in advance. The weekly announcements feature events approximately two weeks in advance or less. The weekly announcements are sent out on Thursdays and items should be submitted no later than Tuesday. Please remember to provide Nina Litoff with the description and information for your event.
How can I get something posted on JRC’s website?
Contact our Communications and Program Coordinator, Nina Litoff to make a request for an update to the website. Postings on our website are in keeping with the JRC External Communications Policy.
The information about my committee on the website is outdated, how can I get it updated?
Contact our Communications and Program Coordinator, Nina Litoff to make updates on our website. Please provide a short description of your committee and provide an image if you have one.
Who do I call to get my committee/task force meeting on our website calendar?
Contact our Communications and Program Coordinator, Nina Litoff for all scheduling needs and room requests. Please note that our building is closed on Monday nights and on Sundays during the summer months. Programs are typically not scheduled on Shabbat (Saturdays) except under special circumstances.
Why can’t we meet at JRC on Monday nights?
To accommodate staff schedules and custodial staffing needs JRC is closed on Monday evening after 5:00pm.
Are there any funds budgeted for our committee’s/task force’s work?
You can contact the Vice-President assigned to your committee or the Executive Director to find out if your committee has funding through the JRC operating budget.
We want funding for our committee/task force in the budget, how can we do that?
Our budget process for the fiscal year starts in the fall when the committees identify their goals and the financial needs to accomplish those goals. In January the budget committee begins to compile budget recommendations and in February a preliminary budget is prepared for the coming year. Revisions are made with the input of the Vice-Presidents. Ideally a final budget is adopted by the Board of Directors by the April board meeting. The budget, or fiscal year is July-June. You may contact the Vice-President assigned to your committee if you have budgetary needs.
My committee/task force wants to have a fundraiser.
All fundraisers require board approval. The Development Committee is charged with maintaining a fundraising calendar for the year. Contact the Vice-President of Development about having your fundraiser approved. Once your fundraiser is approved by the board, contact Nina Litoff to find a suitable date for the event.
I need to purchase something for my committee/task force. Do I have to pay tax?
As a 501 (c) (3) organization, JRC is tax exempt. If you are making approved purchases for JRC, you can get a copy of our tax exemption letter from the office. Please note that Costco only exempts tax for their tax exempt members. Since we do not have an account with Costco you will have to pay tax for Costco purchases.
How can I get reimbursed for a purchase?
Be sure to save your receipts. If your purchase is a budgeted expense and has been approved by your Committee Chair/Vice President, you can send your receipts to the office, attention Sharon Diaz. Please allow about two weeks for processing.
How can we find people who would be interested in the work of our committee/task force?
A combination of getting the word out about the good work that your committee/task force does and just plain asking people is the best way to increase your members. Here are some ideas:
- Be sure to let the JRC office know at least 3 weeks prior to when your committee/task force meets. The JRC office staff can post it on the JRC web calendar and in the announcements.
- Think of what you want your committee/task force members to do: Plan events? Make phone calls? Design a poster? Write an article? Then the office can put something in the announcements seeking interested volunteers.
- Write something for the monthly newsletter about your committee/task force to generate interest.
- Call people and invite them to join you. Not sure who to call? Jill Persin can help. Check in with her and she can give you some ideas.
We need to send out a mailing. Can the office do it for us?
Committee mailings are typically done by volunteers. JRC will only pay postage costs for mailings of official JRC business. Please note that the costs associated with printing and mailing are absorbed by your committee. Make sure that there are funds available to you for that purpose.
How do I navigate the JRC website?
The JRC website hosts a wealth of information about current programs, committees, congregational initiatives. Here is a short guide to help you find what you are looking for.
Home Page: Provides quick links about the synagogue, and upcoming event highlights.
- About us: Overview about the Clergy, the board of directors, staff directory, the history of JRC, FAQ’s and general information about Reconstructionism. You can access past JRC e-newsletters here.
- Membership: Information about how to become a member of JRC as well as resources for current members. This section includes lists of groups and committees.
- Worship: Service schedules and information. All information and resources about the High Holidays can be found here.
- Education: Resources for Religious School, B’nai Mitzvah and the Early Childhood program, as well as the JRC library catalogue. Adult Education events and registration are also listed here.
- Tikkun Olam: Opportunities for volunteering and social action are here as well as a list of social justice task forces.
- Donate: Ways to contribute financially to JRC. Donate in honor of a loved one or to celebrate a milestone in your family’s life, or make a contribution to a specific fundraising event such as the Phonathon. Information about estate planning and legacy giving can be found here as well.
- Calendar: The JRC calendar provides a schedule of activities each day and features upcoming programs for JRC members. Events that require registration will have links in each description.
- Magnifying glass icon: Complete a search of the JRC website using keywords.
Is the Monthly e-Newsletter posted on the website?
Yes! You can find links to our e-Newsletter as well as an archive of past JRC Newsletters here.
Who you gonna call?
Sharon Diaz, Executive Director: contact Sharon if you have a question about the budget, or finances for your committee, if you expect to enter into a legal agreement with another organization or vendor, if you want to include sales (i.e. tickets or books) at your event, or if you can’t find an answer to your question in this list. You can reach Sharon via email: [email protected] or phone: 847-328-7678, ext. 2224.
Jill Persin, Assistant Executive Director: contact Jill for all membership, b'nai mitzvah and fundraising questions, or to schedule an appointment with Rabbi Weiss. She can also help you with suggestions for volunteers to call for your committee’s work. Jill also handles private facilities rentals. You can reach Jill via email: [email protected] or phone: 847-328-7678, ext. 2222.
Nina Litoff, Communications and Program Coordinator: contact Nina for all communications related questions and when you want to plan an event at JRC. You can reach Nina via email: [email protected] or phone: 847-328-7678, ext. 2229.
Rabbi David Eber, Assistant Rabbi for Education: contact Rabbi David if you are looking for information on our Religious School, Youth Group or High School programs. You can reach Rabbi David via email: [email protected] or phone: 847-328-7678, ext. 2225.
Claudia Rozenberg, Early Childhood Director: contact Claudia if you are looking for information about our Early Childhood Center. You can reach Claudia via email: [email protected] or phone: 847-328-7678, ext. 2227.
Megan Baldeshwiler, Bookkeeper: contact Megan with questions about your payments or statements. You can reach Megan via email: [email protected] or phone: 847-328-7678, ext. 2235.
Last revised: July 2, 2018