JRC's Green Team urges you to get involved in Tikkun Olam, repairing the world, by engaging in acts to repair the environment. Contact us at [email protected].
Here are some opportunities to get involved:
Advocate for the Earth
- Join Faith in Place or 350.org, and commit to sending “rapid response” action emails
- Support The GenG Project working with youth
- Join JRC Green Team exploring revisions to the Evanston Tree Preservation Ordinance
Plant a Tree
- Evanston: I Heart Evanston Trees
- Skokie: Fruit or nut trees for the Talking Farm
- Chicago: Native trees – Openlands Urban Forestry Project
- Israel: www.JNF.org
- Africa: www.treesforthefuture.org
- Home: Plant a tree in your own back yard!
Reduce your Carbon Footprint
- Get a home energy audit: Energy Impact Illinois 1-855-9-IMPACT. In Evanston contact [email protected]. Insulate your roof and seal up cracks; buy a set-back thermostat.
- GO SOLAR – either hot water or photo-voltaic
- When buying a new vehicle look at gas use; buy hybrid or electric car.
- Start up or join a “Walking School Bus”.
- Take public transit, bicycle, walk, or carpool.
- Buy a “Bicycle Benefits Sticker” for biker discounts
- Buy LED or CFL bulbs and ENERGY STAR electronics or appliances.
- Turn off lights, appliances, and power strips when not in use.
- Turn off your air conditioner and open a window.
- Buy carbon offsets when you fly.
Divest from Fossil Fuels
- If you own oil or coal stock, sell it or donate it to an organization that will use the proceeds to further Climate Change awareness.
- Ask your college, workplace pension manager, etc., to divest fossil fuels.
- Buy less / Consume less
- Give gifts of your time and love instead of buying “stuff”.
- Purchase recycled office paper, toilet paper, napkins and paper towels.
- Aim for 100% recycled. Use both sides of office paper, then recycle.
- Use cloth napkins, towels, hankies, and rags instead of paper; canvas bags instead of plastic.
- Avoid single use/disposable items and excess packaging.
- Grow your own veggies or buy local and organic. Eat more meat-free meals.
- Avoid pesticides/toxic chemicals in your garden or home.