To accommodate the large numbers of JRC members and friends who wish to attend, we host our services in the spacious and historic First United Methodist Church in Downtown Evanston (map). Whenever possible, we encourage you to walk, ride your bike, take public transportation, or carpool when attending High Holiday services.
For information on bus routes and schedules, visit the CTA website for routes and trip planners or contact the CTA, (312) 664-7200, or the RTA, (773) 836-7000. First United Methodist Church is walking distance from the CTA Davis Street Purple Line stop and the Davis St. Metra station.
- Church Street Self-Park, 525 Church Street (Evanston Place Building)
This parking structure fills up early! The city charges for all hours vehicles are parked, except Sundays. There are 6 designated parking spaces near the Church Street entrance for persons with disability licence plates or placards. The maximum vehicle height is 8’ on the first level only; other levels have a clearance of 6’5”. The garage is open until 11 pm nightly.
- Sherman Plaza Self-Park, 821 Davis Street
Parking is available 24 hours daily – cars enter from Davis Street or Benson Avenue.
- City Lot #3, behind Evanston Public Library on Church Street
The 2-hour meters are enforced from 9 am-9 pm, and are strictly enforced. The city will be ticketing in this lot during the High Holidays; the fine for overtime is $30. Do not park in the underground lot.
- NU Campus Parking, Northwestern University
Parking will also be available during Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur in the 2-level parking structure at the south end of the Northwestern University campus. Enter the lot from the first driveway off Sheridan Road at the curve.
Plan to arrive early so that you have ample time to look for parking and walk to services.
For our Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur services the City of Evanston will waive the daily 2- and 3-hour time limits on all residential streets including Sheridan Road.
- Time limits at parking meters will be strictly enforced and the City will not void or forgive tickets issued for expired meters or overtime parking.
- Vehicles displaying disability plates or placards can park in the loading zone area in front of the church on Hinman Avenue (but not on Church Street) or at any parking meter free of charge and without regard to the time limit.
The Church Street Self-Park fills up early.
Parking spaces are not reserved or guaranteed at any location listed above.
- Plan to arrive early enough to park and walk to services.
- Accessible Entrance at First United Methodist Church: There is an ADA-compliant ramp on the north side of the building on Church St. This is the only accessible ramp to the building. There are wheelchair accessible restrooms on the first floor and elevator access to restrooms on the second floor.
- Priority Seating: There are reserved seats available in several areas of the Sanctuary, including aisle seats, during High Holiday services for persons with special needs. Please ask ushers for assistance. These seats are limited and available on a first come, first served basis.
- Assistive Listening Devices: The First United Methodist Church uses an induction loop system that provides amplification of voices from the microphone. Those with telecoil equipped hearing device should switch them to the T or MT position to use this system.
- Additional Assistance: Please contact an usher during the service.
Download the services schedule, directions to United Methodist Church, and important information about ADA accessibility, Kippot and Tallitot and Sanctuary etiquette all in one document.